- We started off class by having work time to write parent teacher conference letters in class:
- We then did more fish bowl discussions like yesterday on 1-5
- The inner circle talked a lot about connections between the Lord of the Flies and Long Way Gone.
- They also talked about why the children were easier to recruit and how they were easily influenced by their environment.
- Graham had an interesting point about Walking Dead and the quote "You could either be the butcher or the cattle" and how these kids could either join the cause or stand in their way and possibly be killed.
- The outer circle also had a deep and meaningful discussion on the events in the book
- We talked about the old man and his dead son and what that mirrored in the grand scope of the situation Beah and his friends are in.
- Then, Ryan made an amazing connection between the sun, the moon, and the earth in relation to the characters in Lord of the Flies. Ralph is the sun, and the light represents his power. Piggy is the moon and he is pure and innocent but he needs Ralph in order to be shone and have power. Jack is the Earth because in the event of an eclipse the Earth blocks the light of the Sun from reaching the Earth. This shows Jack blocking Piggy from getting power.
- We then had a long conversation on why and how the rebels could do these things. What would motivate these kids to do such evil and inhumane things?
- We did not get to the other things mentioned on the Tuesday slide of the weekly powerpoint
- No SAT yay!
- Read and annotate chapter 6-11 and come up with 5 high level thinking questions by Monday
- Finish Parent Teacher Conference Letter
Note: I left my computer and planner at home